Benefits of Essential Oils
Essential oils and plant extracts have been used for centuries and were used in many cultural practices and traditions. Nowadays we have so much scientific evidence and research proving their effectiveness for use in THIS day and age, hence why the benefits of essential oils are so widely appreciated are now being used by so many people in their daily lives with tremendous results and benefits.
As technology advances through the years essential oils have drastically improved in terms of potency, quality and importantly; safety.
Because of the uniqueness of the chemical structure of each oil and due to the fact that as individuals we are so different in our needs, preferences and body makeup, the benefits of essential oils are wide and varied and can help anyone and everyone that uses them.
Here is a quick questionnaire for you to answer. If you can answer yes to any of the following questions then I can assure you there is a way for essential oils to be used in your daily life and routine.
- Do you ever experience digestive discomfort?
- Are you looking for way stop avoid using over the counter medicines and antibiotics?
- Would you like to find natural ways of taking care of your family that don’t involve toxins?
- Do you ever experience discomfort including tension around the neck or head?
- Are you looking for products to help you support a healthy immune system?
- Do you enjoy powerful, natural and tasty flavours in your cooking and beverages?
- Do you ever suffer from discomfort related to environmental or seasonal threats?
- Do you ever wish you could use natural products to keep your skin and hair feeling healthy, strong?
- Do you worry about exposure to toxins by using household cleaners?
- Do you ever suffer from stress or anxiety or would you like to find a natural way to help you relax and even sleep more peacefully?
Some of the incredible benefits of using essential oils include:
- Helping reduce feelings of anxiety, stress and even depression
- Improve memory and concentration
- Soothe sore muscles and tension
- Heal skin conditions such as rash, scars, dermatitis, acne, cuts and burns
- Fight off old and flu symptoms
- Balance hormones
- Improve digestion
- Improve the appearance of cellulite
- Non toxic solution for household cleaners
The Emotional Benefits of Essential Oils
Due to their unique chemical structure, each essential oil combined with the characteristics of the person using them can offer a variety of incredible emotional benefits.
These include feeling energized, uplifted, renewed, balanced, tranquil and peaceful and the list goes on. The scent of each essential oil causes emotional reaction triggers within the limbic system in the brain and will elicit certain internal responses. These responses vary from persona to person based on their own individual experiences, memories and physiological make up.
Essential oils with strong emotional benefits of essential oils have been used to help people suffering from stress, anxiety, depression and alzheimer’s, amongst others. Aromatherapy is a great option for those seeking alternative treatments to over the counter medications.
An analysis of the 2013 Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS) shows that 1 in every 6 American’s take some kind of psychiatric drug like anti-depressants or sedatives. An earlier government report showed that 1 in every 10 adults reported taking prescription drugs for ’emotional problems, nerves or mental health’ (1)
The most common drugs used are from the sedative and anti-anxiety category. Anxiety is the body’s natural way of preparing itself to deal with a threat or future stressful events. The wide variety of anxiety symptoms can be reduced by using emotional essential oils.
Emotional essential oils are used aromatically and can benefit our emotional health in two ways.
1. Via the lungs to the brain
Once in the lungs essential oil molecules are transferred to the blood via our blood vessels and travel up to the brain. Certain chemical constituents such as sesquiterpene (and montoterpenes which are equally as small) have the ability to cross the highly protective blood-brain barrier due to the fact that they are lipid soluble and very small on a molecular level. This makes them uniquely able to address disease, not only from a physical level, but at an emotional level which are often the root cause of physical illness. (2)
2. Via the olfactory system to the brain
Essential oil aroma molecules are tiny and one of the reasons why they are aromatic. They are so small they can leap into the air and readily be detected as a smell. Once inhaled they travel via the olfactory nerve to the limbic system in our brain where our emotional reactions, memories, stress and hormone balance are controlled.
You can download this free ebook about The Emotional Power of Essential Oils to learn more about the mind body connection.
One of the best essential oils for anxiety is Wild Orange. This particular essential oil has antidepressant, antispasmodic and sedative properties. It’s primary chemical constituent is Limonene which is a monoterpene known for it’s enhancing effect on mood. Read this article to find out more about other essential oils for anxiety.
The Health Benefits of Essential Oils
Using essential oils on a daily basis can have incredible health benefits including cellular renewal, immune system support and digestive support.They can also be used as supplements and for nutritional purposes. Not only that but they can also be used to help with sickness and injury on a ‘need to use’ basis.
The vast majority of essential oils have what I call ‘anti’ properties but there are too many to list them all here. Here are some useful definitions:
*The term ‘antiviral’ refers to something that can stop or inhibit the development or replication of an infection causing virus.
*The term ‘antibacterial‘ refers to anything that kills bacteria or limits its ability to grow or reproduce.
*Fungi include a wide range of organisms such as yeast, mold and mushrooms. Some of these fungi create mycotoxins which can be detrimental to humans and animals including candida, ringworm and black mold.
*A parasite is an organism that grows in another organism at the host organisms expense. A parasite is fed and sheltered by the host but does not contribute in any positive way to the body.
*Inflammation is the bodies reaction to infection and/or injury. It’s an immune system response which then allows the body to fight the infection or start repairing damaged tissue. A certain amount of infamation is beneficial in fighting disease and healing, however, too much can be debilitating.
Top 20 Essential Oil Health Benefits
All essential oils have therapeutic benefits and once you inform yourself on these benefits and how to use essential oils correctly you can really get the full benefit and effect of their healing properties.
Here are a list of 20 of the most popular essential oils and some of their uses and benefits:
- Lavender – Balances the body and works where it’s needed. If in doubt, use lavender. It helps heal burns and cuts. Promotes relaxation and helps with anxiety, bruises, high blood pressure, insect bites, skin conditions and sun stroke.
- Peppermint – For centuries peppermint ha been used for digestive difficulties and to relieve colic, headaches, heartburn, indigestion. It also boosts focus, is a fever reducer and helps with headaches and muscle aches and pains.
- Lemon – Lemon oil promotes health, healing, purification and physical energy. It can help with liver problems, arthritis, water purification and more commonly as an air disinfectant and household cleaner. It also improves lymphatic drainage.
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca) – Antibacterial, anti fungal, can stimulate the immune system, is a strong antiseptic used for athlete’s foot, skin healing, sore throat, tonsillitis, lice, ticks, and to heal cuts and wounds.
- Oregano – Anti fungal and anti parasitic with powerful microbial properties, can help colds, metabolic balance, viral and bacterial pneumonia and even obesity.
- Clove – Analgesic, anti-infectious, anti-parasitic, antioxidant and immune stimulant. Clove helps pull infection from tissues, can help with arthritis, cystitis, dental infection, fatigue and many many more.
- Frankincense – Known as the holy oil in many part of the world, it ha anticancer, antidepressant, anti tumor, anti catarrhal properties and can acts as a sedative. This oil has so many incredible uses including asthma, depression, bronchitis, high blood pressure, nervous conditions, prostate problems. It also helps oxygenate the pineal and pituitary glands in the brain both which release important hormones.
- Eucalyptus – This oil can help with acne, herpes simplex, endometriosis, hay fever, membrane inflammation, high blood pressure and is anti-infectious, insecticidal and antibacterial.
- Grapefruit – Antidepressant, disinfectant and diuretic, this oil may help with eating disorders, fatigue, jet lag, liver disorders, migraines, premenstrual tension, stress and has a cleansing effect on the kidneys, lymphatic system and vascular system.
- Myrrh – Can help with athlete’s foot, candida, digestion, eczema, gingivitis, haemorrhoids, mouth ulcers, ringworm and various skin conditions.
- Cypress – This oil’s properties are astringent, lymphatic and prostate decongestant, antimicrobial and anti-infectious. It can be extremely beneficial with regards to the circulatory system, ovarian cysts, laryngitis, energy, fever, haemorrhaging, reducing cellulite and gall bladder issues.
- Helichrysum – Antispasmodic, anticoagulant, anti allergenic, anti-microbial. This oil offers incredible rejuvenation and restorative for the skin including reducing wrinkles.
- Rosemary – Can improve memory, help with digestive issues, and relieve muscle aches and pains. It is also a popular ingredient in hair and skin products and helps hair strength and loss. It also has anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sandalwood – Promotes mental clarity and calmness, it is also a natural aphrodisiac and has astringent, antiviral and antiseptic properties.
- Ylang Ylang – Hair thickening properties and skin healing benefits. It can heal cardiac problems, fight parasites, increase blood flow and uplift your mood.
- Clary Sage – This oil has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties and is also a nerve tonic and a sedative. A great oil to relieve menstrual discomfort and support hormonal balance, It can also relieve insomnia.
- Ginger – Antiseptic, laxative, stimulant, tonic and warming. Known to influence physical energy, love money and courage and is also used for alcoholism, arthritis, chills, cold, colic, cramps & digestive issues.
- Wild Orange – This amazing essential oil has anticancer and antidepressant properties that provides calming and uplifting benefits. It is also beneficial for insomnia, menopause, angina, diarrhoea, dermatitis, water retention and even wrinkles.
- Juniper Berry – Can help with acne, dermatitis, eczema and is used as a detoxifier and cleanser. It can also help with coughs, kidney stones and liver problems, urinary infections and circulatory issues.
- Rose – Stimulating and elevating. Can help seizures,impotence, frigidity, thrush, ulcers, chronic bronchitis and haemorrhaging.
Essential Oils for Skin and Hair Care
Creating your own beauty care products from essential oils and other natural ingredients can be far more effective than most of the conventional products you can buy over the counter.
Not to mention the lack of problematic toxins such as parabens, sulphates, Formaldehydes, hydrogenated oils and many others that cause internal toxicity.
Here are some of the benefits of using essential oils in your beauty care regime:
- Skin irritations such as rashes and eczema – Lavender and Roman Chamomile
- Treating acne – Melaleuca and Geranium
- Thickening hair or hair loss – Rosemary, Clary sage
- Reducing age spots – Frankincense
- Reducing wrinkles – Geranium, Frankincense, lemon, helichrysum
- Natural SPF protection – Helichrysum and Myrrh
- Skin moisturiser – Geranium, Lavender
- Greasy skin – Lemon, cypress, frankincense, geranium
Essential Oils for General First Aid
There are many day to day issues, especially as a parent, where a natural solution can be used. Having a home made 100% natural first aid kit on hand will help avoid unnecessary trips to the pharmacy/drug store and the use of conventional drugs and their unpleasant side effects.
Here are some of the most common and popular essential oils which should always be included in your home first aid kit:
Lavender – For cuts, scrapes, skin irritations, burns, stings, and for shock/anxiety. Helps wit
Melaleuca – Prevents and reduces infection (anti fungal and antibacterial) Cleans the air from bacteria and mould, prevent athletes foot in sporty kids and grown ups. Can be used with lavender for cold sores. Use for treating and preventing head lice and combine with lavender for ear infections.
Frankincense – Heals bruising, reduces scars and has anti inflammatory benefits.
Peppermint – Soothes headaches, reduces fever, helps with respiratory and digestive issues.
Breathe (Easy Air) Respiratory Blend Eases symptoms of cold and flu and sinusitis, relieves respiratory discomfort. Helps minimize the effects of seasonal threats
On Guard Protective Blend – Supports healthy immune and respiratory function, protects against environmental threats and supports the body’s natural antioxidant defences.
Essential Oil Quality
An important point to bring up here is that not all essential oil are pure. Most of them are made with synthetic fillers or other toxins and can be very damaging to your health if used incorrectly. They can cause adverse reactions, irritation and even sickness not to mention useless in terms of benefiting your health in any way.
For you to take advantage of the benefits of essential oils it is vital that you ensure you are using pure grade essential oils. doTERRA essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade which is a process that ensures potency, purity, and consistency batch to batch. The CPTG process certifies that there are no added fillers, synthetic ingredients, or harmful contaminants in their essential oils that would reduce their efficacy.
How to use essential oils
You can use essential oils in three different ways, depending on the oil itself and each individual, in particular children and those with sensitive skin.
These three ways are
- Aromatically – You can smell the oils directly from the bottle or in the palm of you hand or alternatively you can use an essential oils diffuser. There are two options; a waterless diffuser or an ultrasonic diffuser
- Topically – Essential oils are able to pass through the skin into the blood stream due to their small molecule size . Passing into the blood stream can provide the body with many different internal therapeutic benefits. Apply directly to the skin if the oil is ‘no dilution required’ or apply fractionated coconut oil over the top to prolong the absorption. For sensitive skin, oils requiring dilution or children you can mix prior to application and then apply. Its important to inform yourself correctly about how to use essential oils.
- Internally – Ingesting essential oils can have powerful benefits but must be treated with caution and should not be consumed without being correctly advised. Many doTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils are considered safe for internal use. It’s important to know which ones. You can read more here. Essential oils can be mixed with food or beverages, under the tongue or in veggie capsules. Remember that less is more. One drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea!
Best Essential Oils ‘Every day Kit’
People often ask us what would be the best essential oils and best essential oils kit to have to build their own ‘Family Emergency’ or ‘Every Day Kit’ at home.
There are so many essential oils to choose from but without a doubt the best Emergency Kit includes 10 of the most popular oils with a really wide variety of uses and include topical, aromatic and internal applications.
This kit is called the Home Essentials Premium Kit (or Family Essentials Kit in some countries) and is our No.1 most popular kit.It includes: 15ml bottles of: Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Melaleuca, Oregano, Frankincense, Breathe (Easy Air) Digest Zen, On Guard and 10ml bottle of Deep Blue as well as FREE Petal diffuser!
Remember that by signing up as a Wholesale Member with this kit your membership fee ($25 US) will be waived and you’ll receive your kit at 25% off! Click the Join & save button below to find out about becoming a Wholesale member.
Another option if you really want these oils but would prefer to start out with a smaller size kit, is to purchase the Home Essentials Regular kit. The oils included in this kit are the same except they are 5ml bottles not 15ml and it does not come with a diffuser. Joining will still give you a 25% savings but you’ll need to cover the membership fee.
FREE GUIDE! CREATE YOUR OWN HOME ESSENTIALS KIT
This awesome guide takes you through the Top 10 Essential Oils (singles & blends) to include in your own Home Essentials Kit, their benefits and best of all, how to use them (aromatically, internally or topically)